British word usage for “advice”

OK, so the word “advice” has come to my attention recently as being used in Britain unlike in the US. When I am paid my salary for doing my job here in England, I receive an envelope containing my “pay advice” instead of a paycheck stub or payslip. When I am at the cash machine, it asks me if I would like an “advice slip” instead of a receipt. And yet, the person to whom you write in letters and who answers them in a role we Americans would consider as an advice columnist? An “agony aunt“. It’s a very funny language.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s