I’m back in Minneapolis after my little trip to another state in the midwest, and I found it could be home as it is so much the same as other places I have lived in the midwest. So I have to say, in honor of the 2.5 years since I last lived in these parts, the list of things I did or did not realize that I missed about the midwest.
- Friendly people. Sorry, England, but it’s true.
- TV commercials for Christmas goodies at Fleet & Farm stores
- Overhearing someone in the grocery store asking one of the staff members, “Where is the Velveeta?”
- That stupid twang-y accent. I swore I would never miss this but now when I hear it, it is so familiar…
- Old Home and Land O’Lakes dairy products
- Snow! Measurable, lasts for days, fluffy snow.
- A town connected by skyways and tunnels
- Dayton’s 8th floor auditorium holiday display (and I haven’t even been there yet this year, I just like knowing that it exists!)
- Land grant and agricultural universities with departments like “Sheep Teaching and Research”–BIG 10, baby!
What can I say, I’m happy to be home right now. I’m thoroughly enjoying the midwest.